Located at the north end of Grande Ronde Valley, Summerville was an early commercial and trading center. Settled in 1865 as a stage stop on the George Thomas line, the town was named in honor of Alexander Summerville, a friend of the first postmaster.
Although the stage line ceased operation in 1868, Summerville continued to grow until 1889, when the town boasted several flour and saw mills, general merchandise stores, dressmakers, blacksmiths, a brewery and other businesses essential to town life. Today, Summerville is a small residential area set in a beautiful corner of the valley where deer and other wildlife thrive.
Contact Information: City of Summerville Jenny Zacharias- Phelps- City Recorder PO Box 92 Summerville, OR 97876 541.534.6701