The Grande Ronde River once flowed around this community, creating an island some eight miles in length by one to one-and-one-half miles wide. The town began in 1872 as a business center dedicated to flour production. Eventually, the course of the river was redirected, eliminating the island, but not the name. Island City was incorporated was incorporated in February 1904, and the original plat of the city was signed by Ulysses S. Grant.
Island City has attracted many businesses that serve Eastern Oregon, including several large chain stores and a Boise Cascade particle board facility and RV manufacturing plant. Island City’s growth has extended west, merging its commerce district with La Grande’s along Island Avenue.
Contact Information: City of Island City Judy Rygg- City Recorder 10605 Island Avenue Island City, OR 97850 541.963.5017